Need to eradicate bed bugs? Don't sleep on it another minute.
Have you ever been woken up in the middle of the night from something biting you?
There are many biting insects such as, bed bugs, mites, biting flies, midges, mosquitos, stable flies, march flies, lice (head, pubic), fleas, wasps, bees, ants and urticating caterpillars. There could also be other factors that could be causing the itching such as medical conditions and environmental factors.
Brisbane, being a popular holiday destination for visitors from all over the world have had an increase of Bed Bug infestations. These infestations are not found only in holiday accommodation but also in residential properties. Therefore if you or a family member have been on holidays and you have been woken up by something biting you. It is important to investigate as bed bug infestations can get out of hand very quickly. If it is bed bugs, a treatment program should be put in place immediately.
What are the indicators of a bed bug infestation?
- Live or dead bed bugs, and cast skins. Live bed bugs confirm an active infestation.
- Digested blood known as faecal spotting which is defecated by bed bugs can be found on sheets, mattress seams, and bedding.
- Red blood colored spots or smears on the sheets may occur.
- Eggs are cream in color with a slight bend, approximately 1mm.
- A bed bug smell sometimes described as sickly sweet but is similar to that of stink bugs. This odour is usually only noticed in heavy infestations, if close to bugs or during the treatment process.
How did I get a bed bug infestation?
Second-hand furniture and mattresses may harbour a bed bug infestation.Have you been on holiday lately? Many infestations are picked up from holiday accommodation.Bed bugs are transferred from one location to another mainly via luggage.There is also the risk that transported or stored luggage such as in cargo holds, luggage trailers and car boots, that luggage to luggage infestation of bed bugs can occur.You could bring bed bugs home if you stay in holiday accommodation and use your own linen. Cairns, Port Douglas, and the Atherton Tablelands are high-risk areas, due to being major holiday destinations for local and oversea's visitors who have transported luggage through many airports.
Do bed bugs transmit disease?
It has never been proven experimentally or in clinical practice that bed bugs can transmit any diseases. Skin reactions constitute the main impact of bed bugs. Bites usually follow a linear pattern if numerous bed bugs are present, and they are more frequent on the extremities but can occur anywhere on the body. A small bump accompanied by a rash follows being bitten, usually within forty-eight hours, although the timing and degree of reaction are dependant on prior exposure. Some people require being bitten a second time before a skin reaction occurs. It is unusual for symptoms,such as fever or anaemia to be associated with bed bug bites.
How many treatments will I need to eliminate bed bugs?
It is unlikely that elimination of a bed bug infestation will occur after one treatment. Before the treatment, PEST'A LA VISTA Pest Control technicians will implement a thorough site inspection. For a treatment to be effective, it is vital that the client works with our pest technician to manage the situation. There is also a Bed Bug Treatment code of conduct in place which our technician adhere by.
Treatment preparation – client responsibility
- Do not remove anything from the room until your PEST'A LA VISTA technician instructs you that it is OK to do so.
- It is imperative that before sleeping in a bedroom elimination of an infestation is complete.
- Do not remove any items of furniture from the room.
- Remove wall mounted items such as Pictures, mirrors, light fixtures, but do not remove them from the room, as these need to be treated.
- Loosen carpet around the perimeter of the room/s to be treated. Do not remove carpet from the room, unless instructed to do so.
- Remove linen from the bed and ensemble base place in a plastic bag, do not remove the bedding from the room.
- Remove items from wardrobes and place in a plastic bag, do not remove from the room.
- Do not remove any items of furniture from the room.
- Loosen outlet and switch plate covers.
What happens during treatment?
- Before enactment of treatment, PEST'A LA VISTA pest control technicians will conduct a thorough site inspection.
- Our technician will confirm with you in which rooms you were bitten and seen live bed bugs.
- It is crucial for our technician to ascertain how bedbugs were brought into your home.
- If our technician ascertains bedbugs were brought in by luggage, treatment of all luggage and luggage storage areas will be required.
- Areas, where dirty clothes, used linen are stored, will be examined and treated as necessary.
- Have you tried to control the infestation yourself?
- Our technician will treat all areas that bed bugs are located, and harbourage areas in the room/s with an insecticide registered for use on bedbugs.
What happens after treatment?
- PEST'A LA VISTA pest control technicians will conduct a thorough inspection.
- Infested rooms should not be slept in until the infestation is eliminated.
- All linen and clothing from an infested room are to be laundered in hot water followed by tumble drying.
- Water will need to be at a temperature of 60° Celsius to kill all stages including eggs.
- Operate the tumble dryer on the “hot” setting for 30 minutes for dry clothes, and if clothes are wet, they should be left in the dryer until completely dry.
- Do not return these items to an infested room unless your technician has cleared it.
- Vacuum the room before our service technician performs a follow-up inspection. Use a vacuum cleaner with a throwout bag and empty the vacuum cleaner on completion of vacuuming.
Follow-up inspections and treatments
- Our technician will perform a follow-up inspection ten days after treatment.
- A follow-up treatment will be done as required after the inspection.
Other treatment Information
Other products that can be used in conjunction with a chemical treatment are "Mattress Encasements." Which have had extensive laboratory testing and if used according to manufacturer’s instructions, bed bugs are unable to escape from the encasements. You can obtain them from us.
No space is sacred. Bed bugs will thrive wherever people gather. This makes bed bugs one of the biggest travellers around the world.
If you are in the hospitality industry, then you should pre-empt and put a pest management company in charge. And even one isolated incident of bed bugs, combined with the power of social media, can wreak havoc on a business and live on long after the problem has been solved.
PEST'A LA VISTA has extensive experience and knowledge solving one of life's most vexing pest problems. Call us today and we'll put your bed bug problem to rest, once and for all.